Thursday 18 November 2010

Brixton Baby Pt2



My found stolen and captured objects and images!

I found a small childrens toy on the floor, Electric Ave.

I took a CD off a side table in a cafe

A picture of pound shop plus


My chosen 3 are very different i have chosen an image and 2 objects and allthough they are very different they come together successfully i think to create a good refelction of Brixton through objects and images.

Known for its selcetion and vast array of pound shops my image shows Brixtons pound shop plus no.3 Electric avenue, on closer look the £1 store is part of Brixton foods and this is the case with many of the shops. The image suggests to me the wealth of the area well lack of it. Its a dull image with nothing going on around it, the colours are very bland, white grey and red there is nothing inviting.

I picked up a CD from a side table in a cafe i think it was allowed as there were a few there to choose from. Im yet to listen to it but im getting intrigued writing this as to what i may hear. Its a good representation of the music and culture of the area with its strong afrocaribbean influences. I know from past experiences in London, up and coming music artists and dj's use the opportunity to get their work out there by free CD's. "Dj Sponge, Buncha Ballers mix CD" Interesting cover but has the same colours as the image i chose.

I found a childrens toy on Electric Avenue, its a small chidlrens hand size girl wearing a red dress with white socks and red shoes. She has mud on her shoes that im yet to wash but this gives her a bit of personality. She is of mixed race which i found ammusing as Brixton is home to so many cultures and races and the toy reflects this. I think she belonged to a little girl and she is likely to have been from a mixed race background.

Allthough my objects were chosen randomly they all have the same colours, red, white, grey. Red was a very dominant colour of Brxiton because of its Jamaican community (red yellow and green). I found Brixton a really dark and eiry place to be. All my objects suggest to me a sense of identity and belonging as well as poverty. We have the image of a person who would shop in a £1 store in this area as well as the young girl from a deprived background and the struggling music artist trying to make a living. I didnt intentionally pick them to go together but they stood out to me as they represented brixton and have followed a trend.


No comments:

Post a Comment