Thursday 3 February 2011

Really???

The icing on the cake was Cher Lloyd ‘my affordable hiphop clothing range’ When did celebrities become fashion designers? Why have design houses hit the high street?
For a while i’ve questioned the real designers of the 21st century and do these designer high street collaborations really work? Nearly every week Grazia announces yet another Celebrity name to fashion or a fashion house to the high street. I envied the Carrie Bradshaws of society that could have the Jimmy Choo’s and not the Jimmy Choo’s for H&M. Did the recession bring this on or was it happening before? Could fashion survive without it? Who buys into these collections and why??
“DON'T expect to see a Prada collection for H&M or Topshop any time soon; Miuccia Prada insists it's not something she would ever do. "I have never even considered it and I've explained why," she said. "It's because I don't like the idea of a bad copy of what one does for the main brand. If I had an ingenious idea to do fashion that costs less but that wasn't a bad copy of something else, with completely different criteria and ways of doing things, I would do it...For now, what I see, more or less, is the bad copy. Also with clothes that cost little, you need to ask why they cost so little. Because no one ever asks themselves that."
Vogue, January 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment